DOH Logo

Migrant Farmworker/Temporary Worker Housing

What is Migrant Farmworker Housing – Temporary Worker Housing?

Temporary worker housing and migrant farmworker housing are the same thing. They're any place provided for migrant farmworkers to stay/sleep while in the area to work agriculture.

Temporary worker housing (TWH) is the terminology used in the law, Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and the rules, Washington Administrative Code (WAC). Migrant Farmworker Housing (MFH) is terminology typically used in everyday language. On this website, TWH is used to refer to the RCW, WAC, or license; MFH is used to refer to the program; and migrant farmworker housing refers to the housing itself.

Temporary worker/migrant farmworker – means an agricultural employee that:

  • Works intermittently at one or more agricultural worksites;
  • Stays at site other than their primary residence; and
  • Doesn't reside at the same worksite year-round.

Housing refers to whatever place, area or structure provided for migrant farmworker(s) to stay/sleep. This may be:

  • Place – ground, campsite, RV site or structure site;
  • Structure – tent, garage, cabin, apartment, motel room, house or bunkhouse;
  • Provided by – employer, contractor, manager, relative, friend or other person;
  • Payment – for rent, lease, pay deduction or no charge.