DOH Logo

Transient Accommodations (Hotels and Motels)

License Requirements

Who needs to be licensed?

You must have a current transient accommodations license before operating or advertising a transient accommodation. If you offer three or more lodging units to guests for periods of less than 30 days, you need to be licensed.

Transient accommodations include, but are not limited to:

  • Hotels 
  • Motels
  • Bed and breakfasts
  • Resorts
  • Rustic resorts
  • Inns
  • Condominiums
  • Apartments
  • Crisis shelters
  • Hostels
  • Retreats

Learn More

Why be licensed?

It’s the law. RCW 70.62 requires that any and all transient accommodations offering three or more lodging units for less than 30 days be licensed by the Department of Health.