Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurance plans offer programs to help you quit tobacco. Below is information to see which option best fits you.
- ✓ I am uninsured or without insurance coverage to quit tobacco. See Option 1.
- ✓ I am enrolled in Washington Apple Health (Medicaid). See Option 2.
- ✓ I have an individual plan from the Washington Health Benefit Exchange. See Option 3.
- ✓ I have an employer-based (“group”) insurance plan. See Option 4.
- ✓ I have Medicare. See Option 5.
Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669). You will receive one call with a quit counselor to set up a plan to help you quit or stay quit. If you are over age 18 you can also request self-help materials by mail.
Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669). Callers with an Apple Health plan qualify for up to five calls to the quitline and free nicotine patches or gum. See the Apple Health Benefits Book (PDF) for more information.
Call or visit your health plan website. Individual plans now cover tobacco counseling, nicotine replacement therapy, and related medications with no out-of-pocket costs. Some plans use an in-network approved health provider and pharmacy. Other plans use a quitline such as the Quit for Life® program or an internal wellness program.
Call your human resource office or health plan. Most group plans must now cover tobacco counseling, nicotine replacement therapy, and related medications with no out-of-pocket costs. Some plans use an in-network approved health provider and pharmacy. Other plans use a quitline such as the Quit for Life® program or an internal wellness program.
Medicare Part B (medical insurance) covers eight face-to-face visits in a 12-month period by a qualified doctor or other Medicare-recognized practitioner. If you have a Medicare Advantage care plan, call or visit your health plan website.
Washington State Quitline
- English: 1-800-QUIT-NOW or 1-800-784-8669
- Spanish: 1-855-DEJELO-YA or 1-855-335-3569
- TTY Line and video relay: 1-877-777-6534 (for hearing impaired)
Learn more (PDF) about what you can expect when you call the quitline.
Asian Language Quitline
- Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin): 1-800-838-8917
- Korean: 1-800-556-5564
- Vietnamese: 1-800-778-8440
This is a free nationwide Asian Language quitline that is available Monday–Friday 8:00AM–9:00PM. It offers a free two-week nicotine patch starter kit.